The SOL standard I’m going to focus on for the semester is 4th grade English standard:
4.9 The student will demonstrate comprehension of information resources to research a topic.
- Construct questions about a topic.
- Collect information from multiple resources including online, print, and media.
- Use technology as a tool to organize, evaluate, and communicate information.
- Give credit to sources used in research.
- Understand the difference between plagiarism and using own words.
A research project seems one-dimensional as to how to accomplish and teach it, but I believe that I can adopt lesson plans for how to teach it which will incorporate different learning styles. I can differentiate this standard for students by:
- Allowing students to pick their own topic of interest
- Demonstrating different media to use as research
- Allowing students to use different forms of media (digital storytelling, posters, papers, etc.) to present their findings.